Iaido (Japanese swordsmanship) beginners' classes (6 week introductory courses).
Tuesday 18th April 2023, 8.00 – 9.30 pm
Cost per class: £5 (Cash only)
Venue: The Studio, Forge Valley School, Wood Lane, Sheffield S6 5HG
Instruction will be provided by 4th dan and 3rd dan instructors with level I and level II coaching qualifications.
Things to do:
Before starting a beginners' course of 6 weeks please do the following:
1. You need to be at least 18 years of age before you start training.
2. It is advisable to attend and watch a full class (Monday 8.15 pm to 9.45 pm)
3. Register as a temporary member (for insurance cover) for 3 months with the British Kendo Association; cost £10. Join the Sheffield dojo, number 146
4. When attending a course or class please wear some loose clothing so that you can move freely (e.g. a T-shirt and/or tracksuit). Knee pads will be useful as some of the kata are done kneeling.
5. We have a limited amount of equipment available to use during the sessions. It is advisable to buy some basic equipment, which can be purchased from Nine Circles. You will need the following:
Obi – this needs to be long enough to go around your waist at least 2 or 3 times and should be black, either of the options listed below will be suitable:
Bokken – the link below is suitable to use for Iaido:
We also recommend that you buy a weapons bag for your bokken such as the one in the link below:
By law any weapons used for training purposes must be carried in a bag even if you are travelling by car.
6. Do not leave bags or valuables in the changing rooms. Bring them to the studio for safekeeping.
8:15PM - 9:45PM
Forge Valley Centre
£5 per session